Sunday 13 December 2009

Red velvet cupcakes


I had never heard of Red Velvet cake until recently. Firstly, I tried some in the cafe at my work, then Crumbs and Doilies had it as their flavour of the month, then I saw them everywhere on all my favourite cupcake blogs. This was something I only tried this week and it's been a while since I've shared a recipe, so here goes:

Ingredients
  • 1x large egg
  • 100g baking margarine
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 75g self raising flour
  • 25g cocoa (Green & Blacks fairtrade is my favourite!)
  • 1 bottle of red food colouring (Silver spoon cake craft is the best for colour)
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC or Gas mark 4 or 350ºF
  2. In your mixing bowl beat together the margarine and sugar with a spatula until smooth.
  3. Break the egg and add to the mixing bowl, fold into the mixture.
  4. Add the flour and cocoa, mix together until you have a smooth batter. If you want to make it more chocolate-y just add more cocoa here but take out an equal amount of flour - make sure that whatever ratio you use, the flour and cocoa should equal 100g.
  5. Pour in the entire bottle of red food colouring (yes, the entire bottle! If you added more cocoa you will need more food colouring to make them just as red)
  6. Put the batter into a zip lock bag and pipe equally into cupcake cases.
  7. Put in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Once you think they are cooked press down on one of the cakes, if it springs back then the cakes are done!
  8. Frost with lots of cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with chocolate flakes or curls.

2 comments:

  1. These look awesome, colour looks fantastic! I baked 3 cakes on friday, all chocolate and banana, one was for our friends that got engaged on new years, one was for work on saturday (went down a treat) and a 'spare' hehe! Never made icing before either and it worked out fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks bug. I fancy doing some banana ones soon. Yummy :D

    ReplyDelete