Tuesday 16 February 2010

Lost cupcakes


Lost is one of my favourite programmes and just after the new season started I saw the Lost cupcakes post on my Cupcakes Take the Cake RSS feed. What inspiration! My favourite is the cake with a polar bear. Rarrr!

I had a great idea to use the white chocolate polar bears from Ben & Jerry's Baked Alaska flavour. So, rather than pick the bears out of a tub and suck the ice cream off, I headed to the Ben & Jerry's stand in Leeds' Vue cinema. They sell the white chocolate polar bears as toppings when you buy a scoop of ice cream and I persuaded the B & J girl to put some in a sweet box for me for the same price. She really wasn't sure and went to ask her manager first!

I made my favourite vanilla recipe with cream cheese frosting then created "the numbers" with black writing icing. I was so nervous to write the numbers out! I'm sure they will bring me the worst luck. I can't even write them out on the keyboard.

To get the thick black text of the LOST letters I used a black icing tube. These tubes seem to be in every supermarket at the moment in attempt to cash in on the "baking boom".

Then I created the island cupcakes using one stripe each of green, white and blue coloured frosting. The blue was a nice sea colour so I left that with no extra sprinkles and I covered the white with crumbled up Digestive biscuits to create a sandy beach. I then used green chocolate coated sunflower seeds and green writing icing to create a "jungle" effect on the green stripe. Finally, I added the white chocolate polar bears to the jungle to finish the cakes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment